With the formation of a cataract, activities like reading, bowling or driving can be difficult. Fortunately, vision can be restored quickly and with new advances in cataract surgery, vision improvement begins almost immediately.
A cataract is the clouding of the lens of the eye. Normally, light passes through the clear lens and is focused onto the retina. However, the natural aging process can cause the lens to become cloudy. The cataract blocks the passage of light through the eye and causes distorted or blurred vision, glare or difficulty seeing in poor lighting conditions.
To decide whether or not cataract surgery is right for you, come in for a complete and thorough eye examination at Banville Optical. There are several indications for cataract surgery, but rarely will a cataract need to be removed immediately or as an emergency.
There are 20.5 million cases of early cataracts among Americans aged 40 and older, and 50 percent of people older than 65 have developed significant cataracts. (National Institutes of Health)
Vision loss can be prevented!
With state-of-the-art technology, an ophthalmologist can safely and comfortably remove cataracts and allow patients to enjoy better vision and resume the quality of life they enjoyed before cataracts developed. Should you consider cataract surgery?
A few common reasons an individual chooses cataract surgery are:
- Decreased vision – Such as difficulty seeing street signs or problems reading fine print.
- Foggy vision – Vision appears to have a film or cloud over it.
- Halos around lights – From oncoming automobile headlights.
- Difficulty driving at night – Poor night vision or automobile headlights seem excessively bright.
- Glare – Difficulty seeing in brightly lit conditions such as with oncoming headlights, low sun angles or on foggy/cloudy days.
- Difficulty reading – Or needing more light to see print.
- Poor ability to perform daily tasks – Problems such as reading medication instructions, failure to pass a driver’s visual examination and problems seeing to play cards, bowl or play golf are common.
After a consultation with Banville Optical, you may decide that you wish to have cataract surgery. We will assist you with the co-management of your procedure, and we will prepare your sunglasses and night vision glasses for use after the procedure.
For the finest selection of eyewear and contact lenses, call Banville Optical today at (978) 745-2774. You can schedule an appointment for an examination or you can also fill out our online Request an Appointment form. We welcome all outside prescriptions, so if you have a current prescription for your glasses, we can fill that too!
Our cataract patients come to us from Salem, Beverly, Danvers, Marblehead, Peabody, Lowell, Swampscott and North Shore Boston in Essex County, MA. We provide the following products and services:
• Eye exams • EyeMed Vision Care and VSP vision plans • VSP doctors
• Designer eyeglass frames • Eyeglass frames for men • Eyeglass frames for women
• Prescription eye glasses • Prescription sunglasses • Men's sunglasses
• Women sunglasses • Progressive lenses • Eye contact lenses • Soft contact lenses