The retina is the light-sensitive tissue at the back of the eye that sends images to the brain. Normally, the retina lies against the back of the eye where blood vessels furnish it with oxygen and nutrients. Tears in the retina may impair vision and lead to a detached retina.
A detached retina occurs when the retina pulls away from the inside wall of the eye. When this happens, vision becomes blurred, shaded or distorted.
Left untreated, retinal detachment almost always causes permanent sight loss in the affected eye.
Retinal detachment and tears may be caused by eye injury, the aging process, tumors, cataract surgery, eye disease or extreme nearsightedness.
Several early symptoms may indicate a detached or torn retina:
- Light flashes in one eye
- A dark shadow over part of the field of vision
- Blurred vision or blind spots
- Watery vision
These symptoms do not always indicate retinal detachment, but if you’re experiencing them, you should go to an emergency room, call us or see one of our doctors as soon as possible.
Our retina patients come to us from Salem, Beverly, Danvers, Marblehead, Peabody, Swampscott, North Shore Boston and Lowell in Essex County, MA. We provide the following products and services:
• Designer glasses • Vintage eyewear • Eyeglass frames for men
• Eyeglass frames for women • Prescription eye glasses • Prescription sunglasses
• Men's sunglasses • Women sunglasses • Maui Jim sunglasses • Ray Ban sunglasses
• Progressive lenses • Eye contact lenses • Soft contact lenses
• EyeMed Vision Care and VSP vision plans • VSP doctors
At Banville Optical, we can help you with your detached retina condition. Call us at (978) 745-2774 or fill out our online Request an Appointment to schedule a consultation with our resident optician Richard Rizkalla, RDO, NCLC. Come visit us at our Salem, MA office.