Floaters and flashes
As we get older, we expect to have problems with our eyes, so we tend to ignore them. One minor symptom that can cause a bigger problem, if not treated, is the occurrence of floaters and flashes. These are those tiny lights that seem to blink through your vision and that you can never catch when you direct your focus toward them.
Almost everyone sees floaters at some time, but they can occur more frequently and become more noticeable as we get older.
Floaters are more common in people who:
- Are nearsighted
- Have undergone cataract surgery
- Have had certain types of laser surgery
- Have had inflammation of the eye
Because floaters or flashes can be an indication of a serious problem, you should come in for a complete eye examination. In most cases, no serious problems are found. If there is damage to the retina, it needs to be diagnosed and treated immediately to prevent vision loss.
Contact our doctor when:
- You see floaters for the first time
- You notice an increase in the number or size of floaters
- You experience the sudden onset of flashes
OUr floaters patients come to us from Salem, Lowell, Beverly, Danvers, Marblehead, Peabody, Swampscott and North Shore Boston in Essex County, MA. We provide the following products and services:
• Designer glasses • Vintage eyewear • Eyeglass frames for men
• Eyeglass frames for women • Prescription eye glasses • Prescription sunglasses
• Men's sunglasses • Women sunglasses • Maui Jim sunglasses • Ray Ban sunglasses
• Progressive lenses • Eye contact lenses • Soft contact lenses
• EyeMed Vision Care and VSP vision plans • VSP doctors
Do you have floaters? Come visit us at our Salem, MA office. At Banville Optical, we can help you with your eye health condition. Call us at (978) 745-2774 or fill out our online Request an Appointment to schedule a consultation with our resident optician Richard Rizkalla, RDO, NCLC.